Boiled eggs are rich in nutrients like proteins, vitamins, and minerals, along with the yolk, which is rich with essential fatty acids, cholesterol, and fat-soluble vitamins. Not just in chicken eggs but eggs from Ducks, goose, and quail have such essential nutritions. Few people still chose to have those eggs raw but many prefer to have them boiled. However, there are several ways to prepare eggs like hard-boiled, soft boiled, scrambled, omelets, poached, or in many other ways as preferred.
Boiling eggs may sound simple and easy but be assured it’s the most difficult one while it comes to making it perfect. You will probably run into many problems while boiling eggs. Among many challenges, it can be either boiling the egg in perfect time or peeling those eggs. As you must be aware that boiled eggs can be hard-boiled or soft boiled, and the eggs need to cook perfectly.
So, what do you mean by perfect boiled eggs? For perfectly hard-boiled eggs, it must have no green ring around the yolk, and the yolk should creamy and mellow. Likewise, for eggs to be perfectly soft boiled, it should have firm, custard-like whites and a warm yolk. Making soft boiled eggs is quite trickier than making hard-boiled eggs.
Making of perfect hard-boiled eggs
There are different ways of cooking the perfect hard boil egg. You can either cook it in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes or boiling eggs in the pot or saucepan. This is the method for boiling eggs in the saucepan or large pots.
- Eggs, cold from the fridge
Types of equipment required
- Saucepan or pot
- Large Bowl
Steps to make hard-boiled eggs
- Firstly place eggs in the pan or pot.
- Cover it with cold water.
- Cover the pan with its lid and bring water to boil over high temperature.
- Boil it for about 8 minutes.
- Turn the heat off after cooking.
- Finally, drain the eggs and put them in a bowl of iced water so that you can easily peel the eggshells.
You can also boil eggs in the oven. Here are the steps to boil your eggs in the oven.
The method to cook eggs in the oven
- Firstly, preheat the oven.
- Carefully place eggs in the muffin tin and place it in the preheated oven.
- Cook the eggs for about 30 minutes.
- Place the eggs in the bowl full of iced water for 10 minutes after cooking.
- Lastly, peel off the eggs, and you will get perfect hard-boiled eggs straight from the oven.
Please note that if you cook/boil the eggs in the oven, you won’t be needing water to boil. So, we believe it is a simple way of cooking eggs.
How to make perfect soft boiled eggs
The ideal soft-boiled eggs should have a firm, custard-like whites and a warm, runny yolk. It is a bit difficult to make soft boiled eggs than hard-boiled eggs.
Eggs, cold from the fridge
Types of equipment required
Saucepan or pot
Procedures to make Soft boiled eggs
- Put water in saucepan or pot and heat until it boils.
- Lower the flame to small and put eggs with caution using a spoon.
- after 2 mins, raise the flame to high and boil for another 5 mins.
- When done boiling, take out the eggs and put them in the bowl. put some ice so the cooking process stops.
- After a few mins, you can either peel or break a small portion and use a teaspoon and enjoy your creamy soft boiled egg.
How to peel hard-boiled eggs
The whites of eggs are rich in protein, so it is quite challenging to peel hard-boiled eggs. Some of the tips can are as followed.
Boil eggs that are not fresh
An older egg has a higher pH value than the fresh ones so, older eggs are slightly easier to peel.
Boil eggs with baking soda
Baking soda is alkaline, which adds ups the pH of the water, which raises the pH of the egg, and it helps to peel the egg easily.
Start hot, finish cold
That means the eggs need to be boiled in hot water. After boiling, the eggs are dipped in the ice-cold water, and then, they are peeled off in the water.
Shaking in water
Another way of peeling hard-boiled eggs can be returning eggs in the pot with a little amount of water and shaking it gently.
Use of the hand-rolling technique
After the egg is boiled in water and chilled in the ice bath, you need to roll the boiled egg on a cutting board or any flat surface with the help of your palm. On doing this, the membrane of the egg whites is detached.
How to peel soft boiled eggs
- Removing the shell from a soft boiled egg is tricky. The best method of peeling soft boiled eggs is by tapping the eggs in various places around the shell, either in the sink surface of tapping with the help of a spoon or knife. After that, hold the eggs in the running water and peel away the shell carefully.
- The next method is placing the eggs in the loop that lies at the end of scissors. Then squeeze the handle of scissors to cut the shell. Finally, lift the instrument and peel off the egg carefully. You can also use a spoon if the shell remains on the egg.